In this episode, host Nalin talks to Mikael Lyck about marketing for The Phantom: The Card Game that raised SEK 377,860 (approx $40,800 USD) on Kickstarter.
– [2:37] Transforming an early passion for games into a business
– [4:29] Investing time in forums and gaming groups, being part of the community, to get the project’s name out there.
– [9:36] Using Reddit as a smart marketing strategy to find the right audience for this game style and getting feedback on it.
– [14.57] Spending enough time on the pre launch marketing and community interactions pre launch.
– [18:37] Connecting with other creators on the same niche to collaborate and promote each other.
– [21:31] Announcing the launch on all the channels, and on the forums and Facebook groups.
– [26:18] The marketing strategy during the live campaign, and the connection with engaging followers and backers.
– [28:23] The benefits of having chosen an existing IP for the game, in creating organic relationships in fandom forums, and in finding an audience.
Thanks for listening to the Board Game Marketing Podcast!
Final marketing tip from Mikael to new board game creators:
“Read up. Know your costs, know your target audience!“
Kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesbylyck/the-phantom-the-card-game
For more information on how to market your game, be sure to check out the Meeple Marketing Blog.
You can also listen to the podcast here!
You can also check it out on Stitcher, Castbox, and Podbean!
Don’t forget to subscribe, follow, or leave a review for the podcast!