In this episode, host Nalin talks to Gary Alaka about marketing for Rival Restaurants that raised $300,148 on Kickstarter.
– [1:20] Their process of launching a game with friends
– [5:46] The importance of really testing your game to hone the mechanics and know your audience
– [10:52] Spending time to be active on social media to build an enthusiastic follower base
– [12:14] Putting up a landing page to collect emails to start building a community for launch
– [14:27] Engaging with people at conventions and tactics to collect emails there
– [20:17] Meeting new people and the power of getting reviews
– [22:38] Be proactive at conventions and actively pull people in to playtest
– [23:49] The importance of beautiful artwork for the game
– [27:19] The best way to learn how to market your game is to start listening and learning from others who have come before you
Thanks for listening to the Board Game Marketing Podcast!
Final marketing tip from Gary to new board game creators:
Quality over quantity! It’s not the size of the audience that counts, but the passion it brings. Invest in your audience, empower your ambassadors, and reward their passion.
Rival Restaurants Kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gapclosergames/rival-restaurants-back-for-seconds
You can also listen to the podcast here!
Don’t forget to subscribe, follow, or leave a review for the podcast!