In this episode, host Nalin talks with James Faulkner about the creative process and marketing for board games.
James talks about how he incorporates his personality and personal experiences with games in the products he creates with his team. He takes great pride in the time they invest in having a good customer experience and the organic relationships they’ve built with their audience. Check it out!
- [2:03]: How James’ passion for board games became the initial impulse to work on launching board games professionally.
- [10:24]: The best marketing strategy is always creating a good product that people enjoy, so you can expand more on the same resonating idea.
- [13:46]: The best communication tool for them was Facebook groups, to get in touch with the first audience about the second launch, and to look for look-alike audiences.
- [19:29]: Marketing is not one size fits all and the weirdest things might work for your campaign. Don’t be afraid to think outside of the box.
- [26:52]: How they integrated the reviews in their marketing campaign, and chose which review would resonate better with which audience.
- [32:39]: Each reviewer is different and there’s no one and only protocol to follow to get reviews.
- [35:50]: Investing in Facebook ads is for sure great to find new audiences, but it should go together with the organic relationship-building part as well.
- [38:42]: Investing time in creating a great customer service tradition will get you far. One of the greatest things in the board game community, is the community itself. The people who form it.
- [44:32]: How to get in touch with James Faulkner.
Thanks for listening to the Board Game Marketing Podcast!
Final marketing tip from James to new board game creators:
“Make sure that there is a demo for the game available either as a Print and Play, or digitally on Tabletop Sim. Really helps building trust, as being a new creator there needs to be proof your game is actually a product!”
Stone Sword website: https://www.stoneswordgames.com/
Stone Sword Games Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/stone_sword_games/
Stone Sword Games Twitter: https://twitter.com/StoneSwordGame1
Hogs of War Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Hogsofwarcardgame/
Hogs of War Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoneswordgames/hogs-of-war-the-card-game
For more information on how to market your game, be sure to check out the Meeple Marketing Blog.
You can also check it out on Stitcher, Castbox, and Podbean!